Volunteer with Bike Farm
During this closure, the best way to get involved with volunteering is to send us an email.
Monthly Volunteer Orientation
Every 3rd Wednesday 6:30PM
At our orientation, you will learn how Bike Farm works, get to know our mission, meet other volunteers and think of the unique skills that you would bring to our all-volunteer run collective. You don’t need to be a mechanic to volunteer! Orientation happens during a regular wrench night, and you are encouraged to stick around after the meeting to volunteer.
If you cannot attend the monthly orientation, please drop by any open shift and talk to a mechanic to volunteer. We always have tasks for anyone to do and need the help! For example...
A volunteer triumphantly returns from donation pickup
- Donation pick-up – Local bike shops all over town frequently offer donated parts, tires, etc to Bike Farm. When a donation is ready, we will alert the volunteer mailing list when donations need to be picked up.
- Skilled Mechanics – Bike Farm always needs skilled mechanics to lead shifts and cover for volunteers unable to make their regular hours.
- Unskilled Mechanics – If you want to learn how to build bikes, we have bikes for you to practice on and other volunteers to answer your questions.
- Laundry – Laundry needs to be taken to the service 1-2 times a month.
- Shop Organization – Wheels need to be evaluated and other bike parts should be sorted, measured, labeled and put away in their respective bins. Broken or extremely worn components should be recycled.
- Wheel & Bike Builds – Bike Farm frequently exhausts our supply of decent wheels and completed bikes. If you know how to build wheels or bikes, we need you!
- Flyers – If you are good with sharpies or photoshop, please share that love! The shop always needs new flyers and materials for special events.
- Street Team – Part of Bike Farm’s mission is creating community around sustainable transportation, and we want our community to include people from all over Portland from many backgrounds. Our Street Team distributes flyers as far as we can ride!
Drop by the shop sometime and let us know you'd like to volunteer! You're also welcome to fill out this new volunteer form and someone will get back to you with answers to any questions you might have.
Every 4th Tuesday
6:30pm to 8:30pm
at Bike Farm
Are you interested in seeing consensus-based decision making in action? Do you want to participate behind the scenes of a non-hierarchical, all-volunteer run bicycle education collective? Is there an event that you'd like us to know about, or would you like advice on something we might have some insight on? For any of these reasons or others, you are welcome to attend our monthly general meetings.
You are also welcome to subscribe to our email list. Many shop discussions take place there. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.